When the sun shines and the air is warm, all we want to do is be in the garden. No matter how large or small your plot, our new and expanded range of stylish and practical garden furniture sets will help you enjoy your outdoor space from dawn until dusk. With sets made from solid acacia & eucalyptus wood, and durable rattan weave, our garden furniture is hardwearing and weatherproof. Which is best for you and how can you keep it looking good year after year? We hope this guide answers all your questions…
Natural rattan is not fully weatherproof or suited to the UK’s cold and rainy climate. Synthetic rattan, often referred to as the most weatherproof furniture choice for outdoor use, is made using the same weaving technique. Instead of the rattan plant, plastic materials are used to create the effect.
Cotswold Company rattan garden furniture is made from a comfortable and luxurious synthetic half round rattan weave which is heavier than flat weave and incredibly durable.
From hanging egg chairs to garden table and chairs, all our rattan furniture sets are weatherproof and UV protected whilst retaining aesthetic qualities of natural rattan.
Thanks to premium powder coated, aluminium frames, our rattan furniture is light enough to move around and will not rust when exposed to damp weather. However, even though it is safe to leave outside all year round, a little care goes a long way in prolonging the lifespan and look of your rattan outdoor furniture.
How do I protect my rattan garden furniture outside?
- Move with care: take care when handling or moving your rattan garden furniture to avoid damage. Although rattan furniture is light, sturdy and easy to move around your garden, pick up furniture by the frame.
- Protect furniture feet: whatever material they are made from, try not to drag them across the ground when moving and keep as clean as the rest of the furniture.
- During winter months, we recommend storing in a garage or a dry and well-ventilated area, ensuring it is clean and dry before placing into storage. If your furniture is too large to store, keep it looking beautiful and protected from dirt, leaves and droppings with an outdoor furniture cover. Make sure furniture is completely dry before covering.
How do I clean rattan garden furniture?
You can expect our rattan furniture to last for decades if you follow these steps to maintain and clean it regularly. Whether you’re sprucing up your furniture after storage, giving it a good cleanbefore putting it away for the winter, will keep it looking fresh.
To do this:
- Wipe over with a mild detergent and water using a soft cloth. Never use solvent based or abrasive cleaning products as you risk damaging the protective finish.
- If you need to remove mud or moss, gently use a stiff brush (or an old toothbrush) and the soft brush attachment of your vacuum cleaner to loosen dirt. Rinse thoroughly with cold water, using a gentle spray setting on your garden hose. Leave to dry naturally.
- For any spillages, immediately remove using a blotting action with a damp cloth.
How to clean wooden garden furniture
Acacia wood is known for its durability and scratch resistance, making this high-quality material long-lasting and easy to maintain. Eucalyptus wood, used in our Baunton collection, is also durable and naturally resistant to water, weathering and bugs. To keep your wood furniture looking good for decades, it is recommended that you clean it twice a year.
- To clean your wood furniture, dust off any dirt before wiping over with a damp cloth. For any spillages, immediately remove using a blotting action and never use any solvent based or abrasive cleaning products or materials.
- If your acacia furniture is situated next to a pool or hot tub, spray weekly with a (low pressure) hose to rinse off any chlorine which can compromise the weather-resistant finish.
- To preserve the life of your wooden furniture, we recommend applying a suitable wood protector at least once a year. This helps protect the wood from UV light and preserve its natural colour. Always test a small inconspicuous area first before applying.
How to clean metal garden furniture
Our metal garden furniture is made with durable and contemporary powder coated steel frames. Although powder coating is weatherproof, low maintenance and longer lasting than paint, it is not impervious to dirt. To keep it looking great for years to come, take care of your metal garden furniture with regular cleaning. Wipe off dust and grime with a damp cloth or sponge dipped in soapy water. Rinse with cold water and allow to completely dry before putting cushions back on the seats.
Avoid using solvent based or abrasive cleaning products or materials as they may damage the powder coating finish and reduce the lifespan of the furniture. Should the metal become chipped or damaged, we recommend applying a suitable rust proof paint to the affected area.
Are garden furniture cushions weatherproof?
All Cotswold Company outdoor cushions are season proof as well as fire retardant. Season proof cushions are made with water resistant fabric to withstand the occasional summer shower. Should any water get through, covers are ventilated to allow air to circulate and the cushions to dry.
However, we encourage you not to leave cushions outside for extended periods of inclement weather or extreme conditions. When not in use, keep cushions indoors to prolong lifespan and colour fastness. To clean cushions, hand wash using warm water and allow to air dry.
Shop The Cotswold Company garden furniture collection
From elegant chairs to practical dining sets, our range of garden furniture suits all gardens. Click here to shop our seasonal garden furniture collection and make the most of the Great British summer.